Thursday, October 29, 2009

New Work Computer

Well, something unexpected happend this week. I had a packaged arrive at my desk unannounced. It turns out that my work computer was due for a replacement.

I had recieved a message recently that I was "in the queue" to receive new hardware, and that an email would be coming to advise me when it had been ordered. Then all of a sudden POW. This turns up at my desk.
This is an HP Compaq 6530b, the standard laptop for the drones like me. It seems pretty decent. Core2 duo 2.8ghz processor, and sadly windows Vista. I had kind of hoped that I would be able to hold out for a new PC with Windows 7, but apparently it could be many months or even another year before our company IT is ready to migrate.

We also have the wonderful (and cost saving) do it yourself IT now, so I had to set up the machine by myself. I am a fairly technical guy and was not really worried, but it was in fact absurdly easy. I set up everything in about an hour and it appears to be working perfectly.

So... now lets see how I can adjust to new(old) windows, new(2007) office. New harware is always a pleasure to have in my life. It adds some enthusiasm to work.

n



n



n

3 comments:

Dave C said...

Does do it yourself IT include putting your own cracked version of windows 7 on it?

Anonymous said...

No Dave, my work computer has only officially sanctioned HP software on it.

Also, I purchased a totally legal coppy of Windows 7. It was on sale for 60% off from Amazon UK.

I would never partake in this illegal software you mention. I live by the letter of the law.

Dave C said...

Fraser you are a good citizen. Besides, cracked versions usually crash your system.