Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Toater Meat...

Well, time for another amazing look at an odd German food product.

I was out doing the groceries recently and I stumbled across this wonderful item in the frozen food section. It is a breaded pork based product that you make in the toaster just like bread. I was won over immediately.
As you can see, the packaging is awesome, evokes a 1950s feel to me. At first I worried that it had just been sitting in the freezer here since the '50s but I checked the box and it seemed to be all fresh and new.

The back of the package revealed the nutritional info, not all that bad really. 155kcal per slice, 6.6g of fat, 1.8g of which are saturated. The ingredients list had a fair old number of things ending in "-ate" and "-ium" but I think that is fairly standard for prepared food these days.
Within this magnificent box were 4 individually wrapped toaster-meats. The foil wrap looked pretty much like the bigger box.
I unwrapped one and had a quick look before jumping into actually toasting it. It was pretty much like a schnitzel, the same size and shape as a piece of toast. It was cold, but not frozen solid.For the next phase, I placed the Toaster-meat in my pal the toaster.I had already decided to eat this as a sandwich, so while the toaster was toasting away on the highest setting (as per package instructions,) I prepared my toast bread.With a standard *POP* the meat was ready. I put that yummy meat on my bread and was ready to enjoy.... the sandwich. As you can clearly see, the Toaster-meat has been perfectly sized to exactly fit on a piece of toast bread, with no overhand or strange positioning.Here is the fully prepared sandwich, ready to be eaten.As for the taste? It was quite good actually, it pretty much did taste like a schnitzel. It could have been better if I had some better toppings, but this experiment was done on a day where the fridge was pretty empty.

I am 99% sure, this could be a really amazing sandwich if I added a couple of slices of lettuce and this sauce:That is Bulldog Tonkatsu sauce, something I learned to love on our visit to Japan. We can sometimes find it in asian specialty gorceries here, but I did not have any around at the time of the sandwich.

I will be trying this again, I give it a thumbs up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Germans are so much more inovative when it comes to these food products.