Monday, June 22, 2009

Canadian Delicacy - Poutine

There were a few foods that I wanted to eat on my trip to Toronto, and honestly I did not get most of them, but the one thing I did enjoy was a nice big Poutine.

For those of you not in the know, Poutine is a yummy dish from the health loving folks in French Canada. It consists of french fries, which then have cheese curds added to the top and then are smothered in gravy, melting it all into a big mess.

As you eat it, you can sometime hear your arteries hardening.

Anyway, it is definitely not an everyday treat, and I think the last time I had is was about 2001, so I thought I could indulge in a treat.

like most snack food of this nature, I like to think the best place to get it is from street vendors. And the more run down and grubby looking the booth, the better the food tends to taste. Those vendors who waste all their time cleaning and worrying about the board of health should be devoting themselves to perfecting their dishes and coming up with clever banter.

Right in front of Toronto City hall, there is always a long row of food wagons, I was walking along Queen st anyway, so it was a good spot. There were a few choices, but since I saw the "Bavarian Bratwurst Wagon co" I was won over. Not only was it Bavarian (like my wife) but according to the name, this was not just a wagon, but a whole corporation. That seems to indicate quality to me.
I took a closer look and saw that this wagon had a LOT to offer. Open 24/7. Bavarian #1, a wide selection of sausages and other treats. Their selection of condiments for hotdogs and the like was also very complete. A very good indication of a fine establishment.
I was not here for a sausage though, I wanted scrumptious poutine. So I ordered up a small one for $3, a very reasonable price. It took a few moments, but then I was able to reap this wonderful greasy reward.It was every bit as fine as I remembered. Nice gooey melty cheese, scaldingly hot gravy and chunky fries. Sooo good.

Now I am all set until 2015 when I am allowed to eat Poutine again.

2 comments:

Dave C said...

I highly recommend Smoke's Poutinerie in Toronto

http://smokespoutinerie.com/

The toppings are amazing. I had double pork (smoked baccon and pulled pork). So good, but my arteries will need some time to declog.

www.m-cause.com said...

gravy and fries. yum (i think?)