Monday, August 07, 2006

Simcoe Day at Last!

The waiting is finally over! it is SIMCOE DAY in Ontario today.

I have been on the edge of my seat, counting the days to my favorite holiday. Commemorating Lord Simcoe, discoverer of Lake Simcoe (I think.) I really have no idea at all what he did other than that, but it was certainly enough to have the "civic holiday" renamed "Simcoe Day"

Lets all join in our thanks for the majesty that is Simcoe day. I will celebrate tonight with the traditional Simcoe Day feast of left over spinach and cheese pie.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jay Rymal said...

Sir John Graves Simcoe, honored on Simcoe Day is pretty important in Upper Canada...
He founded Toronto, the center of the Universe. He named the lake (formerly Lake Toronto...which would just be confusing) after his Father. Pretty smart tho' cause he has the same name!
Oh, he was a general, gov' general etc...

check it out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_John_Graves_Simcoe