Friday, July 03, 2009

Fraser the Baker makes a Cake

So it was just Claudia's Birthday a week ago and I decided to take on the project of making a cake for the occasion. I have never made a cake before, so it was going to be an adventure. We had a look in the cookbooks for something she would enjoy and settled on "Vanilla Rasberry Cheesecake"

Step 1. Toast some oatmeal. This was pretty easy.

Step 2: As graham crackers are not available in Germany, I smashed up some plain cookies as as substitute. Also, get a whole mess of butter.
Step 3 : melt the butter and mix together the toasted oatmeal and crumbs to make the cake base.
Step 4: Press the base in to the cake form, then chuck it in the fridge to set.
Step 5: Get a bunch of sugar, cream cheese, vanilla and lemon and orange zest/juice. mix them all up in a bowl. Then get some whip cream. whip it and fold into the filling.
Step 6: get the base out of the fridge (it has been in there an hour or so) and then put the filling on top. Put it in the fridge again for at least an hour.
Step 7: mash up a bunch of rasberries and pour them over the top. viola. finished cake.
In the end it looked pretty much like the picture in the book and tasted pretty ok. It was a little on the sweet side, so I may have put too much sugar in the filling, but I think everyone enjoyed it.

There was no actual baking involved, so I am not sure if this counted as baking a cake. I would probably give it another try, but since I don't really like cake all that much, I will probably stick to more main course type cooking in future.

1 comment:

Dave C said...

That looks really really good. No bake is always a plus...it's how Mike Ponter scored points with his in-laws.