Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I Finally Saw Avatar - Good, but it's no Star Wars





























I finally saw Avatar yesterday and it was alright.

The tech and special effects we just beyond anything else I had seen before, and the story was OK for what it was. Lots of comparisons are being of course made to Star Wars, a film I think is still better than Avatar, at least for me...

I think where this movie was a miss for me was with the characters it created. When I saw the original Star Wars in the theatre it was a near religious experience. I came out of there wanting to BE Luke Skywalker.

Avatar created a world that really impressive and beautiful and I could feel a part of me wishing I could go there and experience the world. However, I would want to do it on my own and never as one of the characters from the film. I did not relate to, nor want to be any of the Avatar heroes or villains.

The greatness in Star Wars was in having these Iconic Characters and personalities that touched the audience in a personal way. Sure the world was amazing, but what really made it transcend the setting and (frankly not great) story was that it gave people a fantasy they could dream of living in. I don't how many hours in the playground I spent as Luke, Han or even Vader, but I have yet to hear one kid in my neighbourhood yelling out "LOOK AT ME, I'M JAKE SCULLY!"





4 comments:

Dave said...

You never know Fraser, maybe the neighbourhood goods are yelling "Look at me, I'm Jake Scully!" in Na’vi.

Unknown said...

Jake who? You make a good point about the characters, and how involved you get with them. I loved the movie, but I guess it's all about expectations. I went in not expecting much and was blown away. I fully expected the story to suck, and to be there for the eye candy. The story was predictable, but handled well, and the visuals were way beyond anything I could have imagined. It was a beautiful film.

Ozvortex said...

I have the same feelings as you regarding the comparison with Star Wars. The Avatar characters didn't strike a chord with me either, not like the characters in Star Wars.I wonder if it has anything to do with the age we first saw Star Wars? I wonder if Star Wars has the same effect on kids when they see it today? Or is it just another film to them?

www.m-cause.com said...

star wars was culturally iconic all the way around...avatar was about the technology. great point about kids not wanting to be the characters.