Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Liam”s New Room – Part 1

As baby time comes ever nearer, the house preparations continue. I recently showed the building of the office downstairs, now I have moved on to the conversion of the old office to Liam’s new room. With the old office furniture all moved out, I could start on the next phase of the plan. they repainting of the room.

Liam has long told us that green is his “best” colour, and he really wanted a green bedroom.

First step was to fill in all the cracks in the wall. Our house is still only a couple of years old and is still settling, making some cracks show up over time. I filled all these in as best I can to have a nice looking wall to paint.

DSC_9260Once I had all the cracks and holed filled in, I did the taping and covering of all the areas I did not want to get painted. Removed all the outlet covers and light switches, and generally wrapped up the room in all the spots I wanted to keep clear of green mess.

DSC_9265 DSC_9267 For the next step, I used a brush to do all the fiddly bits in the corners and edges, as well as around all the outlets. The first taste of green on the walls. It is very bright and minty looking.

DSC_9270Finally, the big work of filling in all the large areas with the roller. This took me most of the afternoon, and by the time the paint was dry and I could clean up, it was well into the evening. Then it was a matter of replacing all the switches, pulling down all the masking tape and plastic, and cleaning up any other mess I had made.

I know that I am not a particularly skilled labourer, so pretty much every job takes me twice as long as someone who really knows what they are doing. I think the results are OK though, it looks not too bad and Liam is happy with it.

DSC_9274Here is the reverse angle, looking back into the room.

DSC_9275

1 comment:

Shelley said...

"green is his best colour"
I think I need to start referring to things like this. That's priceless!