Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Road Hockey

Liam is quite a hockey fan… I can honestly say I put no pressure on him at all to play or watch hockey, I just made it available to him if he was interested and let him decide on his own.  Of course, I think its also the case that  he could not help but be influenced by my own enjoyment of hockey.  Getting up at 5am to watch Olympic games is something he still talks about (and he was not even 5 yet….) I think the coolness of the equipment and seeing papa on skates were also things that helped to fuel the love.

 

The fact that he is a Toronto Maple Leafs fan is further evidence that I let him choose his own path.  If I was that big an influence, he would be wearing a Habs sweater.  At any rate, I am happy he at least chose a Canadian team as his favorite.

 

One of the recent handy projects I undertook was building a little goal for him to play road hockey.  I just used some wood that was knocking around the basement (im not that handy.)  I have to come up with a longer term net solution, right now it is just some thick plastic sheeting on there.  I am likely going to use chicken wire since I have a massive amount of it in the basement.   Anyway, the goal works fine and we have been getting quite a bit of use out of it this spring. 

 

Liam is also brainwashing the local kids to be his fellow hockey supporters, his pal Emil already has two sticks of his own and plays out on the road regularly with us.  I was more surprised to recently see that he had not only convinced Annika to play road hockey, but he had her dressed up in a Leafs sweater as well.  As I recall, Annika enjoys any game involving costumes, so I think she was more into it for that than the hockey, but they seemed to be having a good time out there.

 

Here are some sweet action shots of the ball hockey fun in front of our house. 

 

DSC_1752

DSC_1753

 

 

DSC_1762

DSC_1765

No comments: