Friday, May 04, 2012

Sneaky Dees – One of my all time Favorite places

Continuing the food tour of Toronto I had to return to one of my single favorite places on earth.  Sneaky Dee’s at the corner of Bathurst and College in Toronto.  I spent many many evenings in this place during my University years (and beyond.)   Sneaky Dee’s has everything I could want from a building;

-Mexican food that is very good and priced for the student budget
-a nice place to go for a beer including a patio in the warmer months,
-a concert venue upstairs that hosts tons of up an coming bands.

sneakydees

I can remember going there to see Lowest of the Low many many times as well as Dig Circus.  I don’t know if I could even recall how many concerts I saw there, but I do know that almost every one of them was preceded with a big plate of Tex-Mex food downstairs.  This visit was going to be purely for food, I don’t know if there were even bands playing on this particular evening.

The interior of the place is covered with graffiti, a feature that gives it some of its character and I am sure if I spent some effort, I could find a few tags put there by myself and friends in years gone by.  Check out the walls of the booths here…

dees (2) - Copy

If you head downstairs to the bathroom/public phone area, it gets even more extreme…

l

Joining me for this fine dinner were Gord and Dave.  It always feels a bit surreal going out with my Toronto friends since it only happens every few years.  It is a bit like stepping into a time capsule and so many things seem just like they did when we used to head out together of a weekend evening. 

On the whole I think time has been pretty kind to us and the main difference in going out now is that we are less worried about affording to eat out and more worried about staying out late on a work night.
  dees (5)

I went for the “Guadalajara”  combination plate, one beef taco, one beef enchilada, one chicken enchilada with sides of rice, refried beans and salad.  The food quality is really great and I think that massive plate of food cost less than 12 bucks.  I struggled to get through it all, but since it could be years before my next visit, I managed to find a place for every crumb.

dees (3)

There was a poster on the wall next to our booth for a special menu item called “The Destroyer” which I thought was pretty funny.  A brief search of their website informed me that this beast of a dish was created to honour the “Cancer Bats” band and is comprised of;
-a bed of fries
-gravy and cheese
-covered with salsa roja
-frijoles
-ground beef
-tomatoes
-onions
-mixed peppers
-jalapenos
-more cheese
-topped with guacamole
-sour cream. 

wow.  The post mentions this is the “fastest way to a man’s heart”  so at least they also have a sense of humour about it.

dees

Oh, here I found a colour photo of the finished calorie bomb.  I was nowhere near ambitious enough to take this on and I don’t think the stomachs of Gord or Dave are iron enough to tackle it either…

nachodestroyer-e1324569838654

A fine meal well enjoyed in the company of people I don’t see nearly often enough. 
I think I may have to try and make “the destroyer” at home one evening as a nice surprise for family dinner.  I am sure Claudia would love it.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I have been to Sneaky Dee's twice to eat, both times on account of Fraser.