Monday, October 15, 2007

Currywurst Graffiti

On a recent trip to Tübingen, we noticed some odd graffiti on many surfaces around the old town.

This graffiti was all talking about currywurst, a typical sausage treat over here. it is a big sausage chopped into bite size chunks then covered in ketchup and curry powder. Here is an example:

I am not a big fan of this, as someone who does not really like curry.

The graffiti however, made me very happy and I am now a fan of the idea of currywurst. I am not really sure what the purpose of this graffiti was, there was no advertising or any indication they were for any purpose other than the celebration of a sausage.

These slogans were spraypainted all over various surfaces, and often repeated in different colours around town. I limited myself to capturing only the different ones to show here.

My only other theory is that this is one of those "Guerrilla art" kind of projects done by black turtleneck wearing arty student types. It was cool though.

Here we go..."Zu Rotwein: Currywurst" = "With Red Wine: Currywurst"

Not the most ideal drink to accompany this snack, but still not too wild a suggestion.
"Currywurst aus Hundehaar" = "Currywurst from dog hair"

I don't understand, this may be some local saying with a meaning that I just don't know.

"Alle Naslang Currywurst" = "All Noselengths Currywurst"

This is a colloquialism that does not translate literally, it would actually mean "Currywurst is all around" according to my wife.

"Currywurst Wider Krieg" = "Currywurst against War"

I don't know if this sausage is protesting a specific war or war in general I am glad that this meat has taken a stand though.

"Currywurst Wird Dich Erlösen" = "Currywurst will save you"

This is one of my favorites. I again hope that this is salvation in the spiritual sense. Although, if it could literally save me from a speeding car or something, I would not be disappointed.

"Currywurst macht XreXglücklich" = "Curywurst makes ??happy"

This is one I could not quite make out and I did not see another example. I think the sentiment is clear though, that this sausage creates happiness. I just wish I knew what kind of happiness...

"Pinguin, Iss Currywurst" = "Penguin, Eat Currywurst"

My favorite. I have no idea what this means. The inclusion of the comma after Penguin makes me think it looks like a suggestion or a command. I really have no idea who Penguin is, or if it is just a real penguin...

"Igitt! Currywurst mit Schmiss!" = "???????"

This is another expression that does not translate. Claudia tried to explain it to me but it still did not make any sense. A person "mit schmiss" apparently is someone with a lot of energy and enthusiasm. My only guess is that this one is encouraging you to eat a currywurst with enthusiasm, but if there are any Swabians around that can better translate, PLEASE TELL ME, it is VERY VERY important to me.

"Ach Faläfle, du beleidigte Currywurst" = "Oh little falafel, you are jealous of Currywurst"

Currywurst is a more traditional streetside snack over here, but has been largely displaced by the Turkish Döner Kebab. Falafel is the vegetarian choice at many Kebab places, but I think it was odd to single out Falafel. Döner is the clear snack leader over here. Maybe Tübingen has a different snacking demographic to the rest of Germany, I am not sure.

Furthering this anti Falafel sentiment is the next (and final) image.

"Falafel Feind Aller Currywurst" = "Falafel, Enemy of all Currywurst"

Interesting as this one departs from the font and style of the previous ones, as well as the inclusion of the clenched fist logo.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Currywurst mit Schmiss means that the curry is especially hot! Or that you add onions or another hot ingredient to it. Claudia needs to buy some Currywurst at a stand!!!

I love the different Currywurst examples. My favorite is the one with the Faläfle that is jealous of the Currywurst.

The Doris

Anonymous said...

I am tempted to make a Canadian version of Currywurst.

I could start my own Currywurst stand and sell it to drunken clubbers.

Fraser Anderson said...

Well, it is very popular over here, but you may have a hart tome competing with the street meat.

I love those things.

Anonymous said...

I've had currywurst sausage over here, made by a German butcher up near Midland.

It failed to impress - and tasted more like bland curried tofu.

GS

Fraser Anderson said...

Well, you need to try the real thing over here.

I don't think you can stand by that as an example. I have had some interesting "Canadian" things over here. In France they sell "Quebec Cola"

It is just as good as you might think.

Anonymous said...

Well, I just don't think German cuisine is very good to start with, so you may be correct.

Anonymous said...

this is probably the best blog post i have ever read, anywhere. i almost fell on the floor. i am still laughing now.

i am a HUGE currywurst fan. ah, the fond days of eating the currywurst in the crailsheim canteen...

--ryan

Anonymous said...

Schmiss = Scar that comes from academic fencing. In some very traditional student fraternities this kind of dueling with swords is still done. So, if you are a currywurst in Tubingen with a 'Schmiss' thats a almost political statement. Read more about this in Wikipedia ;-)

Toc77 said...

"alle Naslang" is a (Southern) German expression that could be translated as "just everywhere". Connotations include that you just can't get around seeing it. Unfortunately I don't know anything about its etymological background. btw, I reported about the Currywurst issue in my blog, as well.
I believe that the "Falafel - Feind aller Currywurst" is sort of an answer. "Currywurst statt Bockwurst" is a whole different story. But as I reported yesterday, "Falafel" (a Turkish vegetarian dish) now strikes back with its own series of stencil sprayings!

Anonymous said...

Hi, i used to live in Tübingen and I am still spending a lot of time in this town. I wanted to show a friend some pitures of the cuurywurst-stencils and found your blogg.
I am still not sure, if this campaign is against or for the currywurst.
" Igitt, currywurst mit schmiss" is written on the front of a fraternity house in tübingen (Allemania Tübingen). As written before a "schmiss" is a scar, which comes from academic fencing, which has a long tradidtion in german fraternities. "Igitt" is way to express your disgust. Some Fraternities in Germany are believed to be nationalistic. The Stencil "Igitt, currywurst mit schmiss" is kind of a gauntlet for a fraternity in a town like Tübingen.
"currywurst from dog hair" could indicate the genrally low qualtity of the currywurst.
"ach faläfle du beleidigst currywurst" "Oh little falafel, you are insulting Currywurst"
A "Pinguin" is a animal that lives on the southpol, little bird that can swim but can not fly. I do not the English name, but I am sure you know what i mean.

Stephie said...

it's "beleidigte currywurst", not "beleidigst currywurst"

"beleidigte currywurst" literally means "offended currywurst".

it's an adaption to the german expression "beleidigte leberwurst" which usually means a person that is feeling offended for no particular reason

Fraser Anderson said...

thanks vertigo!

I don't know why my German wife or her sister did not get that one. Is it an expression specific to an area?

My wife is Bavarian, so maybe she did not know it.

Anonymous said...

"Schmiss" can mean scar, but in Swabian a Schmiss is also a kind of scar on things, like on a damaged plate.
(I hope you understand my terrible English, sorry)

Kai said...

"Alle Naslang" has temporal as well as spatial connotations, meaning that the thing in question comes along very frequently. The etymology is that a length of nose isn't very far and doesn't take verz to traverse.

The mystery stencil says "Currywurst macht überglücklich" - Currywurst makes you more than happy.

Very cool post, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Fraser, did you already have a look at "Stuttgarter Zeitung" this morning (August 27, p.7)? Your Currywurst blog chapter is getting around. The topic seems to become a subject for police, science, art history, nutritional counselling …
Greetings from Tübingen's Altstadt
wr

Unknown said...

The one you couldn't make out is actually "currywurst macht obergluecklich" = "currywurst makes you super-happy". Really funny way to say it, it can't be translated well! You can add "ober" to certain words to strenghthen them. That phrase is on the side of the Holderlin Turm (where the poet Holderlin shut himself up for years); I have a picture of it from my last visit to Tuebingen. So funny!

Matthias and so on said...

Hey it says Currywurst macht Überglücklich on one of the graffitis. :) Currywurst makes you Overhappy? :D but I think you can say Über in english as well. Hope i could help you, love the Graffiti :)

Matthias and so on said...

Hey it says Currywurst macht Überglücklich on one of the graffitis. :) Currywurst makes you Overhappy? :D but I think you can say Über in english as well. Hope i could help you, love the Graffiti :)