Monday, February 04, 2008

Strange things I Saw in the Airport

The first leg of my USA trip contained a glorious 5 hour stopover in the Atlanta Airport.

As always when I travel to the USA, I like to keep my eyes open for unusual things that I would not really see so much in my day to day life over here. Usually these are commercially oriented things, designed to part consumers from their hard earned cash.

If nothing else, the US must lead the way for technology specifically created to make spending money as easy as possible.

First example... how often have you really needed a newspaper but not had the 50-75 cents for it? Clearly we needed to see paper boxes that take credit cards, like this one.
I won't even begin on my tirade about what a steaming bucket of suck USA Today is anyway, but all that aside, I think this credit card machine is really not that needed.

Next, I saw the other extreme... an iPod vending machine:

So in here, you could pop in your credit card and drop up to 500$ on a single device. I am not sure that I want to buy high-end consumer electronics like I buy my coke. I would be genuinely interested to know what kind of sales numbers these machines posts. How many people actually buy things here.. at the airport...

Finally, I saw a fast food restaurant that had these napkin dispensers:

I had no idea that there was a "World Hamburger Eating Championship" But having learned of its existence, I have to say I am not surprised that it is in the US, nor that there is a sponsorship in the napkin department.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must shamefully admit that I use my Visa card for the parking meters in Toronto.

Fraser Anderson said...

you are insane.

Anonymous said...

Since the meters in Toronto don't take bills and carrying around enough coin to feed the meter for a day of parking is sort of akin to dragging an elephant around in your pants, it totally makes sense to use a credit card at the parking meters in Toronto

Anonymous said...

Take that Fraser!

Fraser Anderson said...

Well, if you have to park for a full day, perhaps meter parking is not for you.

think about a lot.

Once again Europe kicks North American ass when it comes to parking. We always just have to get a ticket at the lot and pay at the central machine when we are done.

Much easier.