Friday, February 13, 2009

Another exciting Product!

Once again, the marketing geniuses in the food industry have created a brilliant new product that has sucked me in based on how strange it looked.

Pepsi has made "Pepsi Light Mojito" flavour. Here is the delightful bottle that caught my eye.
Just in case you don't know what a Mojito is, it is an alcoholic beverage containing Rum, Sugar, Lime, Carbonated water and mint leaves. You can read more about them here.
I wondered both how and why Pepsi would come up with this, but after just a few seconds, I did not care and had to give it a try. I am not really one to pass up an opportunity to try strange and potentially repulsive food. I would most likely drink rat-cola if the bottle looked funny.

Anyway, first I opened up the bottle and gave it a good sniff.
basically it smelled like regular Pepsi. I did not really detect any citrus or mint smells. Just the cola and sweetness that I would expect to come from the mundane version of this tasty beverage.

I gave it a long, slow, out of focus pour next.
No real shock here, but it had the same consistency and look of regular Pepsi. As I poured it, I think I could detect a hint of mint wafting into the air though.

Then the moment of truth...
The first taste was again not really unlike normal Pepsi, but like so many of these "special editions" the taste seemed to grow stronger as I consumed more of the drink. By the end of the glass, the mint and lime were quite noticeable. There was of course no rum flavour, but since rum is distilled from sugar and Pepsi is already mostly sugar, I am not sure what they would have done there.

As far as the enjoyment of the drink... it was ok, but nothing too sensational. Not repulsive at all, but also not amazing. I think if I really wanted these flavours, I would get a much better taste by just tossing a mint leaf and some lemon/lime juice in a regular pepsi.

This was just the latest in my series on absurd foods purchased from our gas station.

Green Tea Flavoured Coke
Beer Flavoured Chips and more opinions...
Dr. Pepper Cherry Vanilla
Toaster Schnitzel
Swiss Hot Dogs
Hawaiian Toast

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am curious as to why you had to put on your glasses in order to have a drink.

I guess if you put a shot of rum into in, you could have both a mojito and rum & coke (pepsi) at the same time. Two drinks in one!

Fraser Anderson said...

Well Dave, if you look at how blurry the photo of me pouring turned out, the addition of glasses can be fully understood.

Honestly though I just forgot to take them off. I normally take off by glasses when getting photographed because of

1) vanity
2) flash reflections

Anonymous said...

I didn't see the doener chips on the list sadly. These were the best! I happily enjoyed mine over a period of a week. They tasted great...really sad they were a limited edition

Anonymous said...

I didn't see the doener chips on the list sadly. These were the best! I happily enjoyed mine over a period of a week. They tasted great...really sad they were a limited edition