Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tragedy Strikes!

Well, over the weekend there was an accident of epic proportions in our house. My beloved smart phone went in to the washing machine. It did not stay in for the full cycle, but it was certainly fully submerged while turned on.... almost certainly destroying it.

I have removed it and taken it apart as much as I can to let all the bits dry out, and after a couple of days to maybe a week I will try plugging it on and seeing if it has survived. My hopes are low. From what I have read on the source of all knowledge (the interwebs) it looks like the phone is about 90% sure to be dead.

I wrote a haiku about my phone:

My HP handy
You were more than just my phone
I mourn a lost friend

It is not like I really used it as a phone, I probably had less than 20 calls since I got it 2 years ago, but it is all the other functions I will miss. the SMART-part of the phone. Here are the things I used the phone for...

1) Alarm Clock
2) Linked to work calendar
3) Address Book
4) Weather checker (WiFi)
5) all my text documents (recipes, etc)
6) Camera
7) Digital wallet (images of all important personal documents)

Also, HP has not have any sweet offers for smartphones since this one, the best deal I can get from work at the moment is something around 380 Euro, which is 600CDN in case you need some frightening math. If I had 400 Euro sitting on the table in front of me right now, I can think of a lot of things I would be buying before this.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure Gord can relate. He had a similar situation with his iphone.

Fraser Anderson said...

I remember.

It is not the end of the world, I am sure that it was not the last phone I would ever own, but I still liked it.

Lets all cross our fingers and think phone-working thoughts that the poor little trooper will somehow ull through.

Jay Rymal said...

I dropped my ipod into a 'vessel' of water. VERY brief submersion, but it went in for sure. 5.5G 30gb ipod. Headphones plugged in. So not a lot of 'holes'.
I got it working again no problem, I let it sit for a week in a bowl of uncooked white rice. VERY absorbant. Give it a try. I assume you took the battery out immediately?
Remember, not a few hours, a WEEK.
Good luck

Sean Kosticin said...

Well, if it doesn't come alive - I might be able to find a 'spare' 510 in Canada I could interoffice you.

Unknown said...

Or you can look at this as a sign, and come join us in the cult of Mac... it's iPhone time!

Fraser Anderson said...

the Phone is officially dead.

Sean, I will take you up on the 510 if you can find one.

You will have gratitude beyond imagine! Or if there is anything German I can send you....