Friday, December 04, 2009

Friendly reminders from the company

In recent days, the office has started to put up some interesting posters all over the place.  They are supposed to be reminders of how to behave in our environment.  By that I mean of course our office environment, which is:

  • Open concept
  • Shared desks (sit wherever is free)

I will go ahead and say that the move to this office system was not popular with everyone, myself included.  I preferred having my own, fixed desk.  It is not as bad as I thought it would be, but if I have to choose, it would be for having my own desk.

I thought I could share some of the office propaganda in the next posts while I accumulate some topics to talk about on the site.

When we arrive in the office, of course the first thing you have to do is find a place to sit.  Thank goodness I have been guided in how to do so by these posters:

HPIM0036 HPIM0038

“CHOOOSE – Select a workspace to match your needs.  Use meeting or team areas for collaboration”

“CHOOSE – Choose the type of workspace you need… Lively, collaborative, common, or quiet”

I thought these were a bit amusing , thinking that I start each day knowing what my daily style will be.  Of course, not a single one of the options cater to those who would like to choose “isolated from humanity by thick concrete sound proof walls.”  That would be my ideal setting.

I would say the true way that most of my colleagues actually choose their workspace is:

  1. those arriving before 8:30 take all window spots.
  2. those arriving after 8:30 take whatever is left.
  3. preference is given to a seat as far away as possible from “noisy people”

Without naming names, there are absolutely specific noisy people that are well known to all and avoided like the plague.  I think I am a preferred neighbour since I am a very quite office worker.  I strive to be as not-noticeable as possible so people don’t bother me with their problems.  I never talk on the phone, preferring email or messenger, so really my cube is normally like a nice little vacuum zone.

OK, without generalizing too much.  “noisy people” = “the French”

2 comments:

Dave C said...

But how would you choose an environment? Are desks designated as being quiet or collaberative?

Fraser Anderson said...

that dave, is the irony.

You choose a desk in a cube with a chair, or you can choose a long table with a bunch of chairs, or a booth where 4 can sit, like a coffee shop.

they are all noisy.