Friday, August 12, 2011

Mainau - Part 2

Giant floral sculptures continued along the island as you can see here with these enormous ducks.  I enjoy a good huge duck when I can find one.  As you can see from the crowd, this location seems to be particularly popular with buses full of pensioners.
We started to walk a tour around the island which took us past a wide variety of garden types.  I quite liked the "weinberg" which was a nice little vineyard on a hill.  I thought the little tower and path had a sort of storybook quality to it.
This little building is the post office for the island.  Since there are no residents on Mainau, I think it is just there now for the novelty of having a postmark from there.  It was a funny little building though and certainly a lot of people were taking photos of it along with me.
Here are Mum and Liam posing alongside busts of the founders/original patrons of the island.  I think it is unusual to have a statue that is wearing glasses.  I even take mine off for photographs (vanity and fear of flash reflections.)
Last photo for today is the large rose garden that was immediately next to the post office.  Quite big and there seemed to be some sort of private event taking place.  It was a fancy reception of some kind, but did not quite look fancy enough for a wedding.  I would venture a guess that this is a popular place to have weddings since there is quite good photo opportunities all over the place.

No comments: