Friday, April 21, 2006

Sock Monkeys

OK, Dave asked me to put up some pictures of sock monkeys.

Back many years ago, I saw a commercial for Eggo Waffles where a guy was having breakfast with a sock monkey and a stuffed squirrel. I thought the monkey was so great, I had to make one myself. It was reasonably successful, and I have since made several more. Here is a collection of the sock monkeys I have made over the years.

Here is the most recent one, Fritz. Claudia knit the sweater. Fritz was a gift to Mike and Kiyomi in Japan when they graciously let us visit them:

Here is Chad and Bear. Chad is my "house monkey" and constant companion in Germany. This was the first monkey for whom Claudia knit a sweater:

This is Ignatz, and he was a gift for my mother in law. He lives in Augsburg:

And the monkey that started it all... Mungo. He is in Canada at Mum's place. Sadly I could only find this one, not very good photo of him:
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I always knew you were talented, but I had no idea you were THIS talented!

They're awfully cute. How does one go about commissioning a new friend?

Shell

kate dugas said...

omigosh! i loved this ad campaign....

"I have parent teacher interviews on friday, am I going to hear anything I don't want to hear?......Chad?????"

where oh where can i get my very own chad???????

where oh where can we see this ad on the internet?

Fraser Anderson said...

Kate? is this Kate Vickers?

I have not made any sock monkeys for a long time now... It just seems like too much effort.

Dave has been after one for a long time too.

For an inferior, non-Fraser made sock monkey, just google 'sock monkey' and you will see lots of them for sale. I think the sock monkeys made a bit of a comeback lately.