Friday, March 14, 2008

Purchasing dilemma

So I recently got a little bonus at work(which I will describe later), and I think I would like to buy an electronic device with it.

I am torn at the moment between an Xbox360 and a new computer. Both have advantages and disadvantages...

Xbox360:
Advantages:
-Can play games with friends online all over the world
-Digital media centre to stream photos and videos to television

Disadvantages:
-Time zone difference means I will not see most friends online that often
-Games are very expensive at launch and take a long time to be cheaper
-I think Claudia does not like it

New Computer on special offer at work:Computer specs:
Processor: Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2 GHz
Memory: 3GB DDR2
Graphics: GeForce 8500GT
Storage: 500GB SATA drive

Advantages:
-More applications than games
-tax deductible
-I have lots of games already and they are much cheaper

Disadvantages:
-slightly higher initial cost than games console
-I already have a computer working for day to day use
-computers age more than consoles

So I reach out to my many many readers (ha ha) to ask what you think I should do. Please post in comments.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Buy te computer! Because if you have a new computer you can still get the games later and it will be a lot more fun to play them as the computer is faster
The Jonesens

Anonymous said...

I am sure Gord Smith will say buy the X-box.

I was thinking about buying an X-box, but I find most of the games I want to play are available on the PC.

With an Xbox, you can make use of your surround sound and tv (maybe better than your PC).

Of course, Xbox does not have World of Warcraft, so there really isn't much of a decision.

Anonymous said...

Well, I see the advantages to your PC gaming (cheaper software, but for me it comes down to this:

Console gaming - you put in game and play. End of story.

No need to upgrade sound cards, or graphic cards because your system is 2 years old and won't play the new Doom.

No need to update new drivers.

Online gaming is better on consoles - sorry but it's true.

And for me, I spend a great part of the day in a office chair in front of a computer screen. I dont' want to go home, sit on a
office chair in front of a computer screen.

I want to sit on my plush leather couch with a big screen tv and surround system, transporting me into my own little video gaming utopia.

And, as for Dave's comments - well, it your decision comes down to wanting to play WoW, well then you are already beyond hope or redemption.


GS

Jay Rymal said...

Xbox 360 man. All the way. As you may recall I'm a OG, Original Gamer. I was for PC gaming all the way.
But since Xbox 1 and now with the 360 I see consoles as being the preferred choice for all but WoW type games, (MMORPG) and even those are coming to consoles soon enough.

I have recently tried some of my older FPS games on my pc and it's just frustrating. Load times, other programs getting in the way, patches etc. As other posters have said, put a disk in, it just works.

I also really enjoy sitting on the couch with a comfortable controller vs the uncomfortable hunched forward position of a mouse/keyboard player.
AND I get to enjoy it in 720p high def resolution on a 50" DLP with a full 5.1 dolby digital surround sound and subwoofer. Sure I have surround on my pc and a 19" display..but it's nowhere as good.

The fact that to keep up with pc gaming requires you to buy video cards that cost more than the 360 every 6-12 months is just stupid. Get a 360 and enjoy gaming is my best opinion. PC's are great for surfing etc, but they make poor game machines compared to today's consoles.

You can play online with your Eastern time zone friends... you just have to log on later, and they have to log on in the afternoon. Not impossible. I play with Brits from time to time.

I don't know why Claudia wouldn't like it. It keeps me out of trouble and Bonnie likes it for that and other reasons (she has her own 360 as well :)

Anonymous said...

I had the exact same question. But it didnt take long untill i decided to get a PC. First of all those specs are good so games of the future shouldn't be a problem GTA4 etc.

The only reason i wanted Xbox 360 was because of Halo 3. Its only Msoft that releases games a few years later all the other Game Companies are between a few months so PC is the way to go. Xbox 360 will probably be replaced soon anyways by some other crap.