Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Seville in the daytime

So, here is my first post about the city of Seville itself. We did not really get all that much time to look around. This is typical of most work trips, you go someplace nice, then sit in a conference room with no windows for 5 days.

We did have one afternoon with outdoor activities, and here are some of the things I saw around the city. Seville was very nice, rather quiet though, and I never really saw many big crowds of people out and about, despite the weather being really really good.

Here is a little park with some orange trees inside. There were orange trees fairly much everywhere and fresh orange juice with every meal. That was a very nice thing to have.Next up are a couple of images of the famous catherdral. The big tower in the middle is called the Giraldo, which is taken from the Arabic word for weather vane. This tower was built during the Moorish period, but the rest of the church was not.
Here is a view of part of the old castle wall. It was pretty nice looking too. Castles are always a pleasure to look at.
This is a big statue in front of the one rain cloud in Spain. It was a statue to Queen Isabella, who did a bunch of stuff, including patron to Christopher Columb
Our hotel was right on the river, in between two major bridges. There is also a rowing training centre right there, so every day, there was an abundance of boats rowing up and down the river right in front of us. I had a quick peek at them during lunch hour one day.
All in all, Seville by day was pretty nice, as you can see we had really great weather, around 20-24 degrees every day and almost entirely sunny. Too bad I was ill and working, or it would have been even more enjoyable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like a beautiful city. It's too bad you were sick, but at least it was somewhere warm and sunny. Toronto is getting another foot of snow this weekend.

Fraser Anderson said...

It was pretty nice.

I have quite liked Spain when I have had a chance to get over there, but I have only seen Barcelona and Seville.

Seville seemed WAY quieter than Barcelona and quite a bit easier to get around.

I like both cities very much though, Spain is nice, I recommend it.

Anonymous said...

I think I need to relocate so that I have dozens of European countries to choose from as vacation spots, instead of just the plain old USA.

Fraser Anderson said...

I don't see why you can't vacation in Europe... it is not that much more expensive than flying to southern states or Mexico.