Monday, November 17, 2008

SÜDDEUTSCHE SPIELEMESSE!

So, this past Thursday I took the afternoon off work to go to a board game show. I know it is nerdy, but I know what I like right?

This is advertised as Southern Germany's biggest games convention. Of course this is because the biggest one in Germany (and I think the world) is in Essen and just finished. This was my first visit and I have to say I was blown away with how great it was. I am even thinking about going back on the weekend...

So, as it was the first day, it was a special offer of only FIVE EURO to get in and see all the exhibitions, you can click for links to the pages, but I think they are only in German:

Southern Germany Board Game Exposition
Hobby and Electronic Exposition - Computers and Video Games
Southern Model Builders and Trains - Trains, cars, planes, boats, rockets
Crafts World - arts and crafts
Home and Family - well, stuff for the home and family I imagine...

The Stuttgart Convention centre is brand new and I was looking for a reason to go and check it out. I cannot believe I have lived here so long and missed the chance to go and see this before now. I can promise I will be an annual guest for sure!

I arrived for the initial door opening at 14:00, the place looked a little deserted from the outside... Architecturally not all that interesting, but I think most convention halls could fit that category.
I strolled in the majestic front doors, expecting a big empty room, maybe a geek or two waiting to get in.
However it just seemed like I was the last guy from the parking lot to get in. The queues inside for tickets and entry were pretty substantial.
My ticket gave me entry to all the expos, but I was there for games and headed down the big hall for a long walk to building #6.
Take a deep breath and prepare yourselves, the next few days posts will be my coverage of the shows. If you don't like boardgames or other awesomeness, why not take a break from my web page and come back in a week or so.

Otherwise, get ready for some good good stuff.

No comments: