Tuesday, November 25, 2008

World Championship of Balloon Art

This was an unexpected highlight of the gaming expo... I did not even know that there was such a thing as competitive balloon art. Had I known about this, my career may have followed a really different path. I have always had a deep and almost disturbing love of balloon animals.
Around the balloon area were some very impressive looking "heads" on the post. Clearly political correctness and racial sensitivity was not too high on the the priority list, but other than that I think these look pretty amazing.
I also liked these very very large monkey in a tree and buzzard on a cactus ones. They were about as tall as I was.
Still not impressed? Well how about the cast of the Looney Toons cartoons?
Or the six foot tall Dinosaur skeleton?
For me the ultimate in AWESOME was the life sized BBQ, complete with a full range of cooking food. Everything from roast chickens to corn on the cob was on there, and on the side were BBQ tools as well. Even the grill was on there with little balloon coals underneath. wow. I have never wanted to be a balloon artist more than when I saw this very display.
They were also running some workshops where they showed the crowd how to do some simple animals. This group was doing a dog. Not to brag, but I already mastered the balloon dog years ago and felt I could sit this one out.Like I said, this was an unexpected treasure and real highlight of the show for me. I am not sure if I have ever seen so much awesome in one place before. As years go by and people tell me about great world destinations and events they have seen... Taj Mahal, Grand Canyon, or the Eiffel Tower, I think they will all pale in the memory of these balloon world championships. Indeed, I would rather see balloon forms of most of the worlds great landmarks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the fact that the guy is teaching balloon animals off the back of 4x4.

I had a balloon animal when I was a kid. Unfortunately it popped, but my dad was kind enough to drive to the emergency room to see if it could be revived.

Fraser Anderson said...

Do not make light of the awesome.

Balloon animals = win

Anonymous said...

I did not know that you can make balloon dogs. I never had a balloon animal before.did you make one for liam?

The Doris

Fraser Anderson said...

I have not yet, since I don't have any of the looooong balloons. I used to have a book and could do dogs, moose, elephants, parrots, and a few others.

I think I could still do a dog or moose OK, the others escape me.

www.m-cause.com said...

i think the balloon woman with the black hair and big red lips was amy winehouse.

anyway, awesome post, i also love balloon art.

ryan