Thursday, November 20, 2008

Southern German Board Game Expo - part 4

I wanted to look for games for the little people. I love board games, and I hope that one day Liam will play with me, but at the moment he needs something a little more simple. Claudia had bought him a couple of little people games that he really likes, and I wanted to see what else was on the horizon.

I saw a few things that I think Liam could already enjoy or at least would be able to partake of fairly soon.

First up I saw this booth selling "Balloon Balls." Think of them as a sort of pillow case shaped for an ordinary balloon. When filled up, they make a pretty great indoor ball. The case adds enough weight and toughness that you can really whack it around, yet it is light enough that it will not break any indoor things too easily. On top of all that, it was only 3 Euro. I bought the green and white one for Liam and he has enjoyed it lots already. Yesterday he and hit little friend were playing football in the living room with Claudia and the giggles I heard indicated success.
Next there was a booth for specialized wooden blocks. What made these blocks special is that they have channels and tunnels carved into them so that you can make a sort of track, then drop a marble in the top and watch it roll through your sculpture to the bottom. This is not a new toy and I have seen it in the shops here for years. Like many wooden toys, they are a little pricey and I thought out of Liam's current skill range. It was neat to see an enormous dump of them here though and little kids were free to stop and dig right into the mess for a good play.
One more game suitable for the younger people was called "Weykick." I would describe this as sort of upside-down magnetic air hockey.... if that makes sense. This game came in 3 flavours, soccer, hockey and tennis. Naturally I tried out the hockey version.
Each player takes control of 1 or 2 players by moving magnets below the wooden playing table. The players themselves are magnetic and move in response. The players try to shoot a small puck (or ball in soccer game) into their opponents goal. The first player to score ten goals wins
I destroyed the guy running the booth. My table hockey skills are legendary. It was a fun game, but as with most hand made wooden things, pretty darn expensive. The cheapest model was about 120 Euro which I felt was too much. I think I would rather wait a little longer and buy a more traditional "rod-hockey" when Liam is a bit older. Everyone in Canada would know what I mean...Still plenty more expo action to come...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember many nights playing airhockey with you and Mike Star at the Crawlspace arcade. Your skills are indeed legendary.