Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Toronto restaurants that I miss...

Some of the places that I miss from Toronto may just get a visit when I am there next week.

I am sure most of these are not even close to how I remember them, but in my mind they are the stuff of legend.

Thanks to the wonders of google, I can find pictures of them whenever I miss the thought of grease.

First up... Johnny's Hamburgers. A place introduced to me by Plaka. Thanks so much for this heaven of Hamburgers. A place with no tables, no chairs. Get your food and leave. Or eat on an old picnic table outside.


Along the same lines... Apache Burgers in Etobicoke. A spot I first visited around 1988 on a comic book store run. I think that the burgers are not quite as good as Johnny's, but the onion rings from this place are worth a visit on their own. As I recall, you can crack one open and watch the fat drip out. mmmmm. fat.
A Place of Legend... the VESTA LUNCH. We became acquainted with this lovely establishment when Gord and the lads had their downtown place. It was directly in the middle of our to-from path for weekend club/pub visits. It was ideal for a place to stop off for dinner, or the on the way home greasy snack.

Now, I am sure the place is 100% clean, passed all the health code regulations... but if there was ever a restaurant that looked like they should be smoking while they handed you your food, this was it.

As I recall, the best thing in here was Souvlaki, and also a wicked tasty milkshake.
Last but not least, a restaurant I never actually visited, but they did a food booth in the Phoenix where we used to go for our big music nights. They were home of the "Awesome Jumbo" an eggroll the size of a softball as I remember it. Mr.Pong's.

I also saw Mr.Pong's food wagon driving around the city.

I remember hearing a story, that a chain of local robberies in the 1990s in fact led back to Mr.Pong's. Many stories I googled referred to stories in the Toronto Star mentioning how the restaurant was a front for a fencing operation and the police found a dumpster full of assault rifles....

However, did I mention the Awesome Jumbo? Criminal or no, Mr.Pong made a mean egg roll.Lets see what the schedule and hunger is like next week when I am in Toronto. I may just have to take a trip down memory lane to some fine fine eats.

5 comments:

Dave C said...

Ah...Mr. Pong's. If you said "I love Mr. Pong's" after you ordered, they would give you a free egg roll. They also had nautical delivery if you got hungry out on the open water. I'm not sure they are still in business.

Anonymous said...

Not sure what happened to Mr. Pongs.
Wow, haven't been to the Vesta lunch since I lived there in 97/98.

Are you sure you also don't want to go to Falaffel Hut or Blueberry Hill at York Lanes?

Anonymous said...

I have been frequenting Apache since I was a kid (being an Etobicokite) and unfortunately it has gone downhill over the years. They remodeled and now think they are upmarket.
I do recall a few path of destructions back to Gord's from the Vesta. In fact, I do recall an impressive one by you Mr Anderson.
Ponter

Anonymous said...

MR.PONG'S AWESOME JUMBO,,,,,,,,,,was like city-tv everywhere, on land,water and club district. He was a really kool dude. had mobile food trucks dispatched during the T.T.C. dissater , inspiration at the holiday inn for hospitality students from quebec and ontario. hope to see them sooon!

Unknown said...

MR.PONG'S was Hollywood constanley followed by reporters.Heard he was an ex-cop back , he had better cars and graphic designs than the Toronot Police.He was the First to use reflective decals and striping on all his vehicles.Amazing concept and man. He help the community in need especially the T.T.C.