Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What the hell is this?

OK, I was on the internet today and I saw that some travel site was listing the top 10 ugliest buildings in the world. 

I was surprised when they listed the ROM in there.  I have not lived in Toronto for a long time, but I had remembered the ROM as a nice old building.  I jumped on to google to see what this ugliness was all about.

It seems that since I moved, the powers that be decided to do a little renovation to the museum.  I have to agree with the internets, this is one of the ugliest things I have seen in my life.  What I think makes it infinitely worse is the fact that this not only destroys a nice building, this is destroying a whole area of the city.

The ROM is right at Queen’s Park, where the provincial government is located.  Home to some nice old buildings, this chrome and glass explosion really does not fit at all. 

Maybe I am just becoming an old crank or something, but I can’t see why anyone could have thought this was a good idea.  royal_ontario_museum

Michael_Lee_Chin_Crystal

4 comments:

Dave C said...

It does look the building is pooping steel and glass. From the other angle, it doesn't look so bad.

At least Toronto made somesort of top ten list.

Unknown said...

I had heard that they made a radical change to the building, but I haven't seen it yet. Will definitely go this year at Christmas - I have to say I like it! It's only the Bloor Street side that's really changed. And at least they were brave enough to give this a go. Whether you love it or hate it, it's going to draw attention to the place, which was needed. Good on them.

Fraser Anderson said...

Warren your thoughts on this are clearly wrong and you are a bad person for having them.

This building is evil. Evil crossed with more evil.

When I see it, I think that it is the kind of thing they consulted George Lucas on. It improves on the ROM the same way Jar Jar binks improved on the Star Wars franchaise.

Bonnie said...

I have to agree with you Fraser, the addition to the ROM was about 42 kinds of wrong. The only positive thing I can say about it is that it allows (much needed)great light into a number of areas of the museum. Beyond that its just plain, ass-ugly (pls note I don't ever use that term, nor approve of it, hope that helps to make my point).
The ROM was a beautiful, classical building that they simply messed up.
:(