Friday, July 04, 2008

Another Exciting New Product! Coke with Green Tea!

Ahh, thank the gods of consumerism for feeling the need to shove new and often repulsive products down our throats.

I love coke. I drink coke often, when I have a cold beverage, I would say it is almost always coke. mmmm coke. I have tried many flavours of coke.

Coke
New Coke
Coke Classic
Coke light
Coke light with Lemon
Vanilla Coke
Cherry Coke
Coke Zero
C2

and now......

Coke with Green Tea. That is right. I saw this baby on the shelf of the grocery and it took about 0.5 seconds to make my purchase decision. Click the image for a larger look at this beast.
It seems like an unholy combination, but I like coke... I like green tea... lets give them a chance.

The first step was to pour myself a cool refreshing glass.
It looks just like normal coke of course, but I was not really expecting much in the way of colour change. I think that the coke formulation has so much in the way of colouring additives that it would have been a much much bigger surprise if it did look any different to me. I am reasonably sure I could line up glasses of all the coke products through history and not be able to tell any apart based on appearance.

Next was the sniff test.
Not much to say here either, it just smelled like coke. I really could not detect any hint of tea yet.

So nothing left to do but jump right in and give it a try.
I have to say, on the first sip, all I tasted was coke (light,) no tea taste whatsoever. I thought there may have been a slightly bitter odd aftertaste, but I think that is just the normal coke light taste to me.

I gave it another sip, and this time, I definitely tasted the green tea. In fact, with each sip afterward, the tea taste became more noticeable and intense. It is like the first taste was just acting like some sort of primer, getting me ready for the tea taste to come. Anyway, the tea mixed in was not at all unpleasant. I would more say that it just seemed sort of odd at first. In a way it was almost like drinking coke with a bit of iced tea mixed in. Or if you had been drinking iced tea from a glass, then switched to coke in the same glass without washing it (yes, I am a repulsive human who does that.)

All in all, I found it to be refreshing and not at all nasty. Thumbs up.

As luck would have it, we had some guests at the time of this experiment, so I forced Ryan to give it a try as well...

He had the identical first reaction that I did, no tea taste at all. Then on subsequent sips, the tea taste grew and grew. He drank the whole glass with a smile, so it was also a winner with him.
Claudia also tried it and thought it was pretty good. I did not get any photos of her enjoying the coke though. She finished off the bottle the next day, so I will say it was a winner with her too.

So all in all, three thumbs up from the taste test of Coke Light with Green Tea. The only disappointment is that it was a little milder than I was expecting. I wanted to take a sip and then be able to see through time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've had most of those Coke options over here, although, I have yet to see the green tea option. Have you had the Diet Coke with lime yet? I'm still enjoying that one.
I've also seen adds for Coke that is "packed with vitamins and nutrients", like I'm somehow expected to believe that coke is healthy and a part of a balanced diet.......

Fraser Anderson said...

I have not seen coke with lime yet, I will go os far as guess it is similar to coke with lemon??

Coke is clearly a part of a balanced diet. I lived off it in university and only suffered from malnutrition a couple of times.

Anonymous said...

Depending on the country, there are a lot of different flavors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola

I've tried Coca-Cola BlāK which was a coffee-flavored coke. Quite tasty, but its been discontinued.

www.m-cause.com said...

Ah, green tea coke...after drinking this I sort of felt more healthy. Weird...
--Ryan