Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Beer Chips - More Opinions...

As you may remember, I recently purchased and reviewed Beer Flavoured Chips. I recently had the opportunity to share this exciting new product with some more test subjects.

Here, Ryan is posing as if he is about to become the spokesmodel for beer flavoured chips. As convincing as his smile may be, I think that he does not have the physique that the beer-chips product user would most relate too. I think that Ryan would need to work on an enormous beer-gut in order to really convince the target audience that this is a product combining all the best features of chips and beer. He is just too healthy looking...
Anyway, Ryan had been dying to try these since I first told him about them and he was very much up to beer-chip challenge. As you can see by this particularly unflattering photo, he attacked the bag with the enthusiasm needed...
His impressions were pretty much like mine. The first taste just seemed to be regular salted chips flavour, but as you ate a few more, the beer was more and more detectable. Ryan agreed that it was most noticeable when eating a few chips at the same time. All in all, his reaction was positive. Beer Chips gained one more customer.

Next up was The Doris. I don't think Doris is the biggest Chip eater in the world, nor is she a beer-fan. However, she certainly was willing to give the chips a try. I think the look on her face here is showing the level of caution she had when approaching the chip. She looks to be tentatively studying the chip before embarking on a new taste sensation.
Ultimately this chip was consumed. She did say they were "OK" and continued to eat some more from the bag, but I got the impression that she did not like them quite as much as Ryan or I did. Perhaps these chips were split along gender lines? Should Crunchips develop a wine-spritzer flavoured chip for the ladies? I will be happy to pass on this research and offer test subjects to the good folks at Crunchips for a price....

Claudia had already tried the chips the first time I brought them into the house and given them her mark of approval, but I had not captured that moment on "film." Here she is partaking of another chip.
Claudia also gave a generally favourable reaction to this flavour and said she would eat them again no problem (evidence, this WAS the second time she had them,) however this was not her favorite flavour and would probably prefer plain salted or salt and vinegar.

All in all, I did not find anyone who tried these chips and did not like them. Granted, all the people that tasted them at least felt generally good about beer, so there could have been some bias there. I suppose a proper test would have to include people who actively disliked beer to see what they thought of them. Liam did enjoy the chips and he has never tasted beer, but I think he is not the best case, since he will eat any flavour of chip that you let him.

I think Crunchips can be proud of this bold experiment and if I see the beer chips return in future I will certainly pick them up again. I will also go out of my way to try any other exciting new chip flavours that I stumble accross....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fraser, if you could design any chip flavor, what would it be?

Fraser Anderson said...

An excellent question Dave.

Since I find Salt and Vinegar to pretty much be perfection in a fried potato format, I am not sure what I would do...

Most likely I would go for something really weird, and hope I could invent the most repulsive flavour possible.

Anonymous said...

I suppose we should all be thankful that J.K. Rowling opted for every flavour beans, not every flavour chips......