Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Ahhh Germany,

Here is something you don't see in every country, a blatantly racist name on a restaurant.

Combining the cook character from the beloved TV show Bonanza and the stereotypical speech of a Chinese person speaking English, here is the sign.

In case it is not clear is is "Hobb Sing, Das Pondelosa Lestaulant"

This is just down the road from my office in Boeblingen, and the first time I went past I was stunned by the sign. I know that German's are no nearly so politically correct as the Americans are, or even the British for that matter, but this seemed extreme even for them. It is pretty normal on German TV to see politically incorrect caricatures of homosexuals, asians, blacks and whatever other stereotypes you can think of, I have even seen comedians in blackface. Coming from North America, I tend to notice these things.

Well, at least the Germans have changed the name of the cookie from "Mohrenköpfe" (Negro's head) to "Negerkuss"(Negro kiss) to "Schokokuss"(chocolate kisses) They are really good cookies, a marshmallow on a wafer covered in Chocolate. Racistlicious.

No comments: