Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Christmas Dinner

The big day for Christmas in Germany is the 24th, this is when families all have a nice meal, open presents and do the Christmassy things. On this evening, it has become a tradition for us to have a nice ham for dinner. I did not take any photos of the ham, so you will have to close your eyes and think hammy thoughts.

However, on the 25th, we have been having another big meal for the last few Christmases, and on this day, we have a Turkey dinner. Very much like the kind of Christmas dinners that Ryan and I are more used to as the North Americans in the family. It was looking very nice as usual this year and I was trying out my new flash from the night before, so here are some photos of our dinner.

First, the Turkey. Not much more to say about it. It was a giant bird, cooked perfectly and full of poultry goodness.
Next comes mashed potatoes. I am a huge potato fan, and as a cooking snob, I think that my own mashed potatoes are the greatest on earth, but I have to say that these ones were certainly good enough that I enjoyed several helpings of them.
Next is the Apfelrotkohl which would be... Apple Red Cabbage? I have only had it over here, but it is red cabbage that is nice and sweet and apple bits are in there too. I love this and could eat a bucket full if it were not for the fact the table was full of other things I wanted to put in my belly too.
Here is actually something left over from the day before. Creamed horseradish with apples mixed in. This is so hot that it melts the inside of your nasal passage as you eat it. This is just about right for me. Not everyone in the family is a horseradish fan, but I know that Ryan, Bernadette and myself all eat vast amounts of this every year.
Here Bernhard stands at the head of the table, looking like he is ready to eat the whole feast himself. I think he would actually try if we asked him. Bernhard has a great skill at packing a lot of food in there.
Finally, here is Liam standing on his chair yelling at his noodles. That is apparently better than actually eating them in his book.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a huge spread. I remember a few people from university that used to talk to their food like Liam.

Or maybe he was just upset that his noodles contained no turkey.

Fraser Anderson said...

I wish.. Liam eats only noodles, rice, pizza and toast.

There was 8 people at dinner plus Liam, so the food was all consumed without any problem.

Anonymous said...

Hey there. Has Liam always been a picky eater or is this something that sort of evolved as he got older?