Monday, April 02, 2007

I need to take some new photos....

Sad to say that I have been really camera lazy the past little while, I really don't have anything new to share with the web world. I should take a few photos of the finished kitchen, but I have just not been bothered. So sad when I have that little drive.

All I want to do these days is sit on the couch and look out the window. I think it is just the blahs of post moving hub bub and the long illness I just recovered from.

I am now getting ready for a move at work. We are moving from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor and our work environment will become that of the "mobile office." The company has decided to save on real estate space by cramming even more people into this building, allowing them to close some other buildings. This brings up the theoretical question "how do you fit 100 employees into 70 desks??? "

The answer was of course "mobile" or "hot" desks. You no longer have your own desk, your department has a pool of desks, and you have a little cabinet with your personal effects. When you come to the office, you get your stuff out of the locker and claim an available desk. This is only possible because so many people travel or are in all day meetings and don't require a permanent desk.

Personally, I think this is a terrible policy, imagine having no personal space at all? You are not allowed to have any pictures up on the wall and it is a "clean desk" policy, so at the end of each day, anything you left on your desk gets taken to lost and found by the evening desk police. Crazy.

You are even supposed to "sign out" that is clear all your stuff away if you plan to be away from your desk for more than 2 hours. Insanity.

I think any savings in real estate will be lost over time to lower productivity. Not having your own space means you need extra time to set up your computer, phone, pens, pencils, etc every day and evening. This will be at LEAST 30 min a day per employee totally productivity free, and it is on company time. But, I am sure that they will just expect everyone to come in 30 in earlier and contribute the same amount of work as before.

I am actually one of the lucky few who do get a permanent desk, but that is because I am not traveling so much and most of my meetings are via phone or less than 2 hours.

I will do my best to work in this environment, but I really don't see any benefit at all to employees, it is another cost savings for the company that makes this office a less pleasant place to work.

Complaint is over now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty insane. Although I know a few people at work who would have trouble with the 'clean desk' policy. It would take them a couple of weeks just to find the surface of their desks.

Fraser Anderson said...

I will have trouble enough with the Clean desk. Apparently it will apply to all, even if it is a permanent desk.

I have many many plans to exploit this policy.

Anonymous said...

The mobile office trend started and died out quickly in North America a few years ago.

You should krazy glue all your pictures and personal effects to a desk and refuse to move.

GS

Jay Rymal said...

Can you not work from home and get in on this 'mobile' desk lifestyle? I would embrace this policy by going to work less.
Bonnie (HP Mississauga) has told me some of the stories of their policies... I'm sure I've seen it all before in Dilbert comics ;)

Fraser Anderson said...

We were specifically told that "this is not an invitation t work from home" We are fully expected to be in the office just as much as before.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun!!

At least you don't have to gather in a circle each morning and yell out "Super Fantastic!!!" when your boss asks "How are you all today"?

GS.