Friday, May 11, 2007

Getting very crowded

One of the challenges we had with Liam was getting him to go to bed at night. Every day used to be a horrible screaming ordeal, but then he started calming down when he got a toy in there with him. He would learn that toy by name and then call for it. The problem is, the toys are cumulative, not exchangeable. When he calls Oompa, he wants that bear. Then he calls for Bobby, you do not get to take Oompa out, but add Bobby to the mix.

He is quiet at bedtime now but the bed roster includes:

"Oompa" - his first bear friend
"Bobby" - the bear given by my work colleagues
"Bear Bear Bear" - the Panda from Ikea
"Bear" - the bear from "Laura's Stern" film I got him
"Bagger" - the backhoe that is is constant companion
"Auto" - The Playmobil Fire Truck that is the newest member of the tribe

So now he goes to sleep looking like this:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember my brother sending me a video of adding about 30 stuffed toys to my niece's bed. I think Liam is doing pretty good at 5-6. What was funnier was that my brother had names for all 30 stuffed toys (and remembered them all).

Fraser Anderson said...

I should make a film of what happens when you try to put him to bed with a bear/truck missing.

He stands, head sadly hanging over the side as he calls out the name of that toy.

"bagger....bagger...baaaaaggggggeeeeer"
"auto....auto..auuuuuuutoooooo"

Anonymous said...

I would have gotten a good spanking for putting up a fuss.