Monday, May 28, 2007

Old Technology

I was looking through some of my old photos on the hard drive today and I came across this folder which contained photos from the first digital camera I owned. This camera was purchased for 50 Deutsche Mark at an Aldi grocery store, and time has not been kind to the tech. It was a 640x480 "pen style" camera and used 2 AA batteries. I believe you could hold up to 10 photos in "high quality" mode. I don't think I have any low quality mode photos saved for comparison...

It had no flash, so indoor photos were not so great. But here is a good one of Ryan pretending to be a ski jumper. As you can clearly see, bad lighting was not an ally...
It did slightly better outside, here is Claudia waiting for the train home that day. I think it looks kind of interesting. In a way, I kind of like the really crappy quality of the pictures, they give them that certain early adopter look. Not nearly as many people had digital cameras back in those early days of 2001 or so.
Finally, here is what I would say is a best case scenario. I took this one inside, under good light in our flat. I think it looks pretty darn good for a 22kb file taken with a camera that is way worse than most phones will take now a days. Claudia looks a little orange, but otherwise it is fairly decent.
In a way, I quite like the look of these low low quality images. I think I am inspired to dig out this old camera and take some more horrible photos with it. Or I guess I could just use my phone and get a similar result. I think my phone, which is now also old technology (2.5 years old) is also a 640x480 resolution.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I remember photos from this camera. You did a whole series of pictures taken with your pen camera a while ago (a bunch where of your bmw).

Anonymous said...

It actually looks like Ryan is constipated in that pic.

Fraser Anderson said...

I think this was when Germany was doing very well in ski jumping and it was on TV all the time. Ryan thought that the guys looked kind of like clowns and developed this groovy impression.