Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Shocking developments at work

So I just heard officially today that they(my company) are moving the Large Format printing business management to Barcelona Spain from San Diego and Boeblingen. This was talked about for quite a while and has now been implemented. Two of my colleagues now report directly to the Spanish boss.

This has some implications for me that are not yet clear, I do the forecasting and analysis for the LF guys, but I report to the consumer ink people in Germany. So, this means:

1) They move all the LF duties to a Barcelona person, decreasing my workload and making me happy.
2) They leave the work with me, all the people I need to do stuff go to Spain and I end up having to trek over there every few months for endless meetings.

Given how well these things are thought out... I would place bets on option #2, which would not be ideal for me. Not that I have anything against Barcelona, it is a pretty nice place to go. I just do not relish the idea of all of the people making decisions and plans sitting a few thousand KM away. When everyone in the team but one is sitting in the same location, the odd man out tends to miss quite a lot of the information and loses touch with the business.

Oh, I would also have to go to even more teleconferences, which is a prospect to which no sane person would look forward.

No comments: