Monday, April 14, 2008

The Last Post about cars... for now

OK, the journey through the Mercedes museum will end today as I post my last photos. I know I used up a lot of days, but I really enjoyed it there. I am investigating going to the Frankfurt Auto show in the fall, so you may again be subjected to lots of car photos.

Check out this bad boy... This is a prototype car that was never built, but was being designed to go for land speed records. It was theorized to do about 600km per hour. That is very very very fast. Also it is huge and looks like a space ship. I want one.


The last great great thing I saw in the museum was actually in the gift shop. Here you can buy all kinds of toy Mercedes vehicles and this one jumped right out at me...

It is a crappy looking truck loaded with goods and Arabic looking people all sitting on top. It is more of a "model" than a "toy" priced at around 60 Euro, but I was blown away that they would produce something like this. Surely the lawyers in Germany are not as worried as North American ones as far as lawsuits are concerned.

Is this toy racist? Is it a model representing some particular aspect of the Mercedes experience? I am not sure, but I was certainly hypnotized by this. If it was 10 or maybe even 20 Euro, I surely would have bought it. But at 60, that is a little too much out of my computer fund.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit unsure of that one too.