Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Philips AJ300D.... a fine gift of ipod clock radio greatness.

This year, Claudia outdid herself in getting me a super birthday gift. She got me a piece of technology that is not only super, but is also the exact brand and model of something that I had almost myself purchased....

It is amazing, I had not prompted her or told her what I wanted, she came up with this one entirely on her own.

This is the Philips AJ300D ipod dock and clock radio. There are about a million ipod docks out on the market now and they come in all shapes and sizes. I was always looking for one with a nice sound, a small footprint and not too big. I think this one meets all criteria.

So in addition to charging the battery and acting as an external speaker set for my ipod, this device is also an FM radio tuner and clock radio. I can even have the ipod act as the wake up noise. I actually use my phone as an alarm clock now, but I have used this quite a lot as an external speaker.

here is the front view.
First, you place a little plastic plate in the unit that matches your particular ipod. I have the last generation of the Nano, so I dropped that one in. you can see around the dock the control buttons on the unit itself.

The only thing missing for me is a way to change playlists. You are limited to either playing the playlist that was last being used on the undocked ipod, or a no-playlist selection of randomness of the complete contents. Not a big deal, but it would have been a nice feature to work in there.

Notice there is also an AUX function on there too, so I can put a line in and use this as speakers for some other source... my computer for example.
From the side, you can see that it has a pretty nice shape, not too big. The buttons down the side are for power, time set, and the alarm noise.
From the back, you can see the sub-woofer, which is of course pretty small, as well as the power and line in ports.
Finally, here is the remote control. It has all the same buttons as the front of the device, as well as the power one.
Sound is very good and I am very satisfied with this product. I like being able to listen to my podcasts and music when I am using the computer or cooking dinner and other such tasks. I had wanted one of these for quite a while and I am extra pleased that Claudia chose this particular one for my B-day gift.

Way to go superwife.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you carry it around the house, or leave it in one place?

GS

Fraser Anderson said...

It mostly sits in one room, but I will move it to the kitchen if I will be a long time in there or anyplace else on the ground floor

Anonymous said...

Good for relaxing beats, and drowning out droning spouses :)

Ebola Monkey Man

Anonymous said...

That's a nice docking station. I think someone will owe Claudia a nice b-day gift.

Anonymous said...

Ok Fraser, do you know how to change the look of the time? In the manual and on the box it has this groovy dot matrix font for the time, yet i cannot for the life of me figure out how to change it... the manual says nothing, and i have pushed every button on this thing.

I will send good karma your way if you can help.

cheers.

Fraser Anderson said...

Sorry Anonymous. You cannot change the display. The difference is in the model year, the original version of this product used the dot-matrix number display.

The more recent models changed to a solid digit display. They did not update the packaging or manuals though.

Can I still have some karma?

Anonymous said...

you gave me the answer, which is what i was looking for, albeit not the one i wanted to hear.

Some good old Canadian Karma is on it's way now.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

Cheers.