Friday, August 03, 2012

Olympic Women’s Weightlifting

As I was watching the Olympics the last few days, I did of course notice that TV coverage of women’s events tended to focus on the sports that featured attractive women.  Lots of beach volleyball, rhythmic gymnastics, short skirted hockey players…

I could also not help but notice very little coverage of women’s weightlifting.  This is a sport that in my mind is practiced by brawny unattractive distinctly non-feminine women and that made it TV-unfriendly by the standards of our broadcast networks.  Brief moments on “the Google” proved me unequivocally wrong and there are many very attractive and feminine competitors in this sport.

From Germany…

880820-120731-julia-rohde

From Canada and France….

marilou_dozois-prevostmelanie bardis2
marine delacourt

From Great Britain…

148073200JL00071_Olympics_D

and of course the always present USA.

arace-mangold-art-gqoi6npd-1olympictrials-kr-05-jpg












I know this post is distinctly sexist, but you know what, I don’t care, it made me laugh.

No comments: