Wednesday, August 08, 2007

My trip back to the 1980s

Claudia and Liam are in Augsburg visiting her parents, so I found myself home all alone last night. In a moment of inspiration, I decided to go to the movies and watch "The Transformers" since it was 4-euro Tuesday at the english cinema.
Tranformers are of course based on a cartoon from the 1980s, so I thought it was only fitting that I go see the film in the cinema with 1980s technology. This is the only all-english cinema in the Stuttgart area, so if I have the urge to see things in the original version, this is where the buck stops.

Excuse the poor quality of the images here, but I only had my wonder phone with me to capture the glory of the corso. Here is the outside of the Theatre, I actually took this on the way out, it was barren when I arrived.
This was also on the way out, a line and formed to see the Simpsons which was also on. Notice the huge 1970s looking sign saying "WE ARE GOING TO THE MOVIES" sooo nice.

Once you are inside, this place defines the "One Man Show" This same guy sells you your ticket, operates the food stand, opens the doors to the theatres, and works the lights and projector. For those of you who have never been to a German theatre, you would likely find odd that you can buy beer in bottles or ice cream and whole cans of pringles at the concession. I just got some popcorn this time.Sadly, I could not capture the best part of the whole experience on film as it was too dark in the theatre. But here it is; I WAS THE ONLY ONE THERE! I have never had a whole theatre to myself before, another dream come true. I felt a little bad for "the employee" having to come in for the early early show, set it all up and run a film for the 4 bucks revenue I brought in.

Now as for the movie... I heard unflattering reviews about it but I think they were unfair. I mean come on, it is a film based on a cartoon based on a toy robot that turns into a truck. What sort of high drama was expected? It could have been a little shorter, but for me it had all the elements of a fine popcorn movie:

1) Robots
2) Robots exploding

Things I did not like about it:

1) too much "bathroom" humour
2) a little too long
3) robots with lips

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Dave was a transformer, what would he be?

GS

Fraser Anderson said...

Dave I don't know, but... Jarvis would transform into a couch.

Anonymous said...

Dave would transform into a church collection plate.

GS

Fraser Anderson said...

be nice.

Anonymous said...

nice blog!

Anonymous said...

nice blog!Nice information

Anonymous said...

:-) ochen\' zaebatyj blog!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work. It very impressive. Enjoyed the visit!