Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Deutschland Sucht Den Superstar

About the only TV show over here that I watch with regularity is the German version of "Pop Idol" which is called "Deutschland Sucht Den Superstar."I have only seen the US version once and the UK version a couple of times, but essentially it looks like the show is the same wherever you go. A panel of judges, one of whom is a moderately known person from the past watches mostly talentless freaks to find some good singer. The moderately known person in German is Dieter Bohlen, who was in a big hair 80s band called modern talking. He is the Simon Cowell of Germany, who regularly tells people they are "shit" (which you can say on German TV.)


Many people I know make fun of Germans for the brief time that David Hasslehoff was making records here... I can clearly tell them that if they heard Modern Talking, they would forget all about the hoff. This "music" was a crime against humanity of the greatest magnitude. Such titles as "Cherie Cherie Lady" and "TV makes the Superstar" are so awful they defy description. Wait, here is a video to demonstrate.



This band was popular for MANY YEARS here... what is wrong with these people?!

I digress... My point is that Bohlen is a judge on DSDS.

I don't even know why I like the show... it is generally people singing a style of music I don't like (WHITNEY HOUSTON SONGS GALORE) by people I find loathsome. But I am hypnotized by this show every week. At first I got mad when the clearly talentless were able to stay on the show week after week, but now I welcome them. Since I don't like the musical content anyway, I need a show full of people I can verbally abuse and hate week after week.

Case in point: this guy came 3rd in DSDS and has zero talent. He is annoying looking sounding and is someone I generally hate. BUT, I am glad he was on the show, every story needs a villain.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am still waiting for the German version of the "Office". Which I'm certain will reach new heights in German comedy.

GS

Fraser Anderson said...

German comedy is too horrible to describe.

The only thing watchable is the sketch comedy shows, and most of them are still awful.

Anonymous said...

You should have posted your rant on Gord's site. It is worthy.

Fraser Anderson said...

why would I do that? My site is for my own rants.

Anonymous said...

That is the Fraser I like. Angry and hateful.

Debbie said...

I can't even decide which of these videos is the most painful.

But, I really hope you sent that Modern Talking video to Starr. Maybe he can sing that song to Cherie for their anniversary?