Monday, March 05, 2007

No New Photos - 5 Days to Go.

Today is another day that I did not have any new photos to share, so I thought I would put up this nice one of a lawn decoration that we once saw. I think this was in Rosenheim, where the Joneses used to live, I recall that we had to stop the car to photograph this beautiful mountain scene.

Just like in North America, Germany has a nice batch of crazies who fill their lawns with insane garbage. I wish that I had photos of all the examples I have seen in my time here... In Kayh alone (pop. 1400) there is a full snow white scene of garden gnomes, a castle, a 5 foot windmill, and a life sized plastic sheep. I have no idea what goes through the brains of people when they create displays like this.

I am walking though a nice shop... I see a life sized plastic sheep... I KNOW! this would look great in front of the house!

I would also love to know what the chinese factory workers making these lawn ornaments think of their job. I think it is fair to say that the living conditions of a chinese sheep factory worker are somewhat sub-luxurious. Then they have to get up in the morning, head to the factory, and perhaps spend 8-12 hours a day making life sized plastic sheep for western lawns. Do they even know what people do with these sheep? Or is it just a strange experience for them? At least after a full day with their synthetic flock, they can go home and sleep at night knowing that they made a difference.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember it!! And did you notice the bridge at the little fake waterfall!
D

Anonymous said...

Is it any worst that over-the-top Christmas lighting?

Fraser Anderson said...

I love bad Christmas decorations. I have one picture of a crazy house from Niagara, but it is a little too blurry to put up.

And these strange things are year round displays, like garden gnomes, which are also all over the place here.

Anonymous said...

Hi Fraser,

I think you should remove the link to Gord's rantings. It has been updated in a couple of weeks...basically a dead link.

Fraser Anderson said...

what a subtle jab at me smith Dave.

I am sure Gord will be ging us fresh content soon.