Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Skype Phones - 3 Days to Go



I think everyone is fairly familar with Skype, the VOIP program. I was just in the local media store recently and I saw a neat thing. Wireless Skype Phones. You plug in some sort of USB receiver into your PC, then fire up your Skype connection and you can then use the phone handset to have a normal phone conversation.

I have used Skype already, but only with microphone and speakers, I like the idea of these phone handsets if I have to travel on business. I like to call home while away, and hotels/cell/payphones are all insanely expensive to use. If I get a Skype phone, it is a small addition to the packing and adds a much cheaper way of staying in touch.

First I need to check out some reviews of the many many available phones, but I saw these two for around 60 bucks. After 2-3 business trips I think this will have paid for itself. 1 if I were to use a hotel phone from the USA to Germany, Hotels charge CRAZY rates on using their phones. Some of the places I stay when travelling for work even have the internet included in the cost of the room, so I would effectively get to call for no additional charges.

It seems unreal that there are only 3 days left until the move, the sinks and toilets are installed now, so the place is livable. The only thing that looks bad at the moment is that the kitchen is likely to come a week late. This means no cooking for a week. Lots of sandwiches and Kebabs will be eaten. At least we have a fridge, so keeping the food will be no problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BTW - My blog is updated and it's all about Dave......

GS.

Anonymous said...

I retract my previous posting.

Good luck with the move Fraser.