Sunday, October 29, 2006

Less than ideal conditions

So last weekend we played our first game of the season and it was not exactly the best conditions. This is what happens with an ice rink that is 3/4 outdoors and the daytime temperature is 20 degrees celcius. Fog Fog Fog. I could not see past our own face off circle, whenever the play left our end, I just had to listen closely to try and tell which side would have skaters returning on it.

To make matters worse, we were undermanned and outclassed by this team. As far as skills go, I have no illusions, I know exactly how good a goalie I am and what I am capable of. The other team was in the State league last year and their goalie was in the German equivalent of the NHL (albeit as a backup) two years earlier. We did not have much of a chance, but we put up a good fight. Final score was 11-5 for the Esslingen Eisbrecher. It could have been worse. I still think I played a fairly good game overall.

I always say, I would rather lose 11-5 and face 60 shots than win 1-0 and face 1 shot. I am there to play, not to watch.

No comments: