Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Windows Vista Launch - 38 Days until move

So Today is the big day for the launch of Windows Vitsa. I have just read a little bit about this now since a few people around me have been asking me about it. Apparently I have a reputation for a guy that keeps up on his computer geeky news. My mother is even thinking about getting a computer and she was reading some offers out of the paper for new PCs all with windows Vista.

So... what is my opinion on this?

1) Everyone using a PC will eventually have to migrate. This is just a fact of life. Windows on 80% of all PCs, combined with MS moving to a new version, means most people will have no choice. That however does NOT mean you should rush out and buy Vista now. I am not saying anything innovative here, but this is what I think based on what I have read so far.

2) WAIT!!! The average piece of computer code has one error every 100 lines or so. Windows Vista contains over 3.5 MILLION lines of code. That translates into a lot of errors, which translates into a lot of problems. To be fair, MS has been testing this for years now to get out as many bugs as they can, but it is a safe bet that you will be reading about Vista problems for the first months.... until they release the inevitable....

3) SERVICE PACK! This will contain fixes for many of the problems that pop up. Most people who went on to Windows XP found that it was not really that good until the SECOND service pack was released. There will be a Vista SP1. Wait for it, there is no advantage to being an early adopter because...

4) WINDOWS VISTA RUNS SLOWER THAN XP ON CURRENT HW. All I have read indicates that most current generation HW will have a slow down in performance running premium vista, due to all the fancy schmancy graphical eye candy thrown in. Intel, AMD and Nvidia are all releasing fairly major hardware changes in the next year, quad-core 45NM processors, new graphics architecture... all of this new stuff will be much better for Vista, but it could be a year before it is optimized and affordable.

5) Wait and see what Apple offers with:For me, the main reason to stay with Windows as an OS was for playing games. I have not really had so much time for gaming lately and my computer is used far more for internet, photo, and some video conversion. All of these things can be done as well or better on a Mac. I am very very seriously considering a Mac for my next computer. I think that Apple will be having some more detail on OS X 10.5 in their event on Feb 20, could influence me there. I would also like to wait for the Mac lineup to switch over to the new intel chips based on the 45NM tech when it comes out. This may help with the crazy operating temperatures. I don't want a laptop that scars me.

So, those are my thoughts. The takeaway message for this is:

1) If you want a PC, you will eventually have to get Vista, but WAIT!!!
2) Consider a Mac unless you are interested in gaming, but WAIT!!!

overall, now is not the ideal time for a new computer, ask me in 6 months.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Switch to Vista and risk Warcraft not playing properly?

I will heed your advice, oh Mighty Fraser.

For the Horde!

Debbie said...

I love my Mac, but then I work in publishing and the environment I'm in pretty much demands one.

However, the difference is customer service. Mac is a nightmare. I can get it serviced, and Mac technicians are top notch. But, God forbid you need something like... a keyboard.

I waited more than two months for my replacement keyboard and that was the ONLY thing holding up my repair job (other pieces also took their sweet time arriving, but the keyboard was the worst). Due to the keyboard problem, my laptop continually opened up in safe mode, which is much slower than regular and there were a number of other issues. But, since I couldn't be without my laptop, I had to work around them, which sucked. Keyboards are the most requested replacement item, but Mac can't get them fast enough.

Fraser Anderson said...

What do you have? Macbook? pro? I will guess pro if the keyboard can be replaced at all. The macbook integrated thing looks like the whole case/body would need to be replaced.

The biggest knock I have on Mac laptops is that they tend to run at around 80-90 degrees. This is not acceptable and it is not needed. Apple has a manufacturing process that is well known to incorrectly apply the thermal paste to processors, resulting in the 10-20 degree higher than needed temperatures.

As for service... Apple scores very well on the manufacturer reviews. Have you ever compared the service from Dell or dare I say it... HP... Apple still wins there.

Debbie said...

I have an iBook G4, and yes, it runs pretty hot. It also seems to get hotter as it gets older. Mine is almost 2 years old and yesterday I thought my desk was going to go up in flames.

I have never had to deal with any PC problems (well, I never spilled coffee on a PC), so I can't compare but, I have to say, Mac was piss poor with my machine.

Also, there has been a lot of bad press recently about Apple quality in general and customer service, so I would be interested to see if Apple will continue to score high.

Fraser Anderson said...

Hotter as it gets older? Could just be dirt and dust in the vents/heatsink.

I would suggest carefully blowing them out with compressed air. You are surprised by how much gunk gets inside there.

Debbie said...

Thanks for the tip, Fraser. You really are 10 kinds of awesome.